Dzisiaj jest: 19 grudnia 2018, Imieniny: Beniaminy, Dariusza, Gabrieli Zadaj pytanie Burmistrzowi Facebook Twitter Instagram Youtube RSS

Biernacki Palace


The classicist palace at 27/29 Wolska Street was built in the second half of the 19th century. It was designed by Jozef Orłowski. The history of the building is linked to the Biernacki Family. Jan Chryzostom Biernacki, the landowner of the most of Wola’s territory, in the late 18th century, purchased, among others, the gardens of Karol Schultz. Precisely in this area, the mansion for Adam Biernacki was built. Later, in 1929, it was donated to the Archdiocese of Warsaw.

Plans concerning the building were different – the Museum of Church of the Warsaw Archdiocese was to be created 20 here as well as the seminary dormitory. Eventually, it became the Carmelites‘ abode. The tragic fate of this place caused by the events of August 1944 should also be evoked at this stage.

It is commemorated by a memorial plaque placed on the front wall of the building: The place sanctified by the blood of Poles who died for the freedom of their homeland. In August 1944, at No. 29 and No. 4/6/8 of Wolska Street the Nazis murdered about 3,200 people. Today, the building is still inhabited by the Order of the Carmelite Sisters who live in asceticism and remain in their cloister each day. Nuns also grow fruit and vegetables in the garden surrounding the building.